10 Ways to Boost Your Energy, Fast!
You’re plugging along, working at your desk, running errands or chasing after the kiddos. Then you feel it: a little yawn escapes your mouth. You rub your eyes without even realizing it. Uh oh, you think. Here comes the 3 o’clock slump.
What causes an energy crash?
Why do you feel tired every day at 3 p.m., and why do some of the solutions to your slump only make you even more sleepy later?
That mid-afternoon slump isn’t just because you’ve been sitting for hours, or due to those delicious, carb-heavy leftovers you enjoyed for lunch (though neither of those help!) -- it’s actually due to your body’s built-in circadian rhythm, which experiences a natural trough between 1 and 3 p.m., giving you the urge to take a siesta.
If you typically reach for a sugary energy drink, soda or snack when you’re feeling sluggish, you may be setting yourself up for a subsequent crash. That’s because sugary drinks and snacks cause a temporary spike in blood sugar levels that eventually dip and leave you feeling more tired than before. (TIP: Your Best Shot for Wellness & Energy contains no sugar, works quickly and doesn’t cause a post-energy-drink crash! More on that below.)
Here are some tips for boosting your energy without resorting to vending machine treats:
- Grab a drink of water. Dehydration can be draining, so be sure to sip water throughout the day to stay hydrated.
- Take a breath. We’ve discussed how breathing exercises can boost your mood -- you can use your breath pattern to promote energy, too! Try breathing from your diaphragm, by inhaling through your nose and expanding your stomach, then exhaling through your mouth to push your stomach back in and up.
- Eat a healthy snack. Skip the candy bars and potato chips and instead opt for a handful of nuts, a low-sugar Greek yogurt or veggies with hummus. The key is to find something that provides filling protein and fiber, to satisfy hunger while keeping blood sugar levels steady.
- Sniff certain scents. Aromatherapy is a great way to relieve stress, but did you know certain scents can be invigorating, too? Citrus scents, peppermint and jasmine can jazz you up and keep you going.
- Let the sunshine in. A little fresh air and sunshine will do you good, right? Exposure to sunshine stimulates serotonin levels, which can leave you feeling happy, focused and ready to tackle your to-do list.
- Go for a walk. Feel like crawling into bed (or under your desk?). Get up and get moving! Walk across the house, up and down the stairs at the office or park your car a little further away from the grocery store.
- Do light stretches. When there’s no time to take a yoga class, or even a walk, do a few light stretches to get circulation going in your body. Even a few upper-body stretches (shoulder circles, shrugs and side bends) can wake you up from a slump.
- Listen to music. You know that playlist you use to motivate yourself on long runs or when you’re deep cleaning the house? Time to press play!
- Get your caffeine fix. Duh - this one is obvious, right? But as we said earlier, be weary of caffeinated drinks that are loaded down with lots of sugar (or dairy). Your Best Shot for Wellness & Energy contains a concentrated caffeine extract and is free of sugar, so it’s a convenient way to support energy levels with no crash.
- Take a shot. No shot glass needed -- turn to Your Best Shot (have we mentioned it’s great for energy?), a convenient liquid supplement shot. Not only does it provide caffeine, it also delivers other energy-supporting nutrients that have been used for generations, including maca root, guarana, and L-carnitine.
Your Best Shot for Energy & Wellness
Your Best Shot for Wellness & Energy is a shot-sized liquid supplement for optimal wellness and energy. It combines the health-supporting powers of multiple high-quality liquid and powdered extracts, including Rhodiola rosea, maca root, moringa, L-carnitine, elderberry, guarana and caffeine. It’s formulated for optimal absorption and effectiveness, which matters when you’re in need of energy, stat!
The convenient bottle can tuck easily into your purse or gym bag, so it’s perfect for travel, busy days and anyone who needs energy and wellness support on the go -- say, in a long meeting, an after-work gym session or simply to beat the afternoon slump!