7 Winter Tips for Healthy Skin
The weather outside may be frightful -- but your skin doesn’t have to be! If you’re feeling a bit blue about dull, dry or otherwise damaged skin this winter season, take heed of these six simple tips for smooth, hydrated and happy skin.
- Cover and protect. Exposure to the elements (super low temps and gusty winds) can certainly do a number on delicate skin, especially your hands, face and lips. Be sure to protect your hands with gloves or mittens, and if needed, cover your face with a scarf or balaclava.
- Use the right moisturizer. If you live in a climate with actual seasons (we’re not talking to you, Floridians), you shouldn’t be using the same moisturizer all year round. Winter weather calls for a heavy duty hydrator with serious moisture-penetrating capabilities. You may also need to apply moisturizer to your face, hands and body more often than usual, to keep skin from flaking and cracking.
- Be gentle. When it comes to products, “heavy duty” doesn’t have to mean harsh. Look for products with gentle, effective ingredients -- like natural cleansers, toners and serums that won’t irritate or dry out skin. Steer clear of petroleum based products, parabens and sulfates.
- Beware of heat. It can be oh-so-tempting to take a long, hot shower or stand directly in front of the heating vent, but artificial heat can actually make things worse for your skin (and hair) in the long run, by sucking away moisture. To combat indoor heating, heed tip #2 and moisturize often.
- Don’t forget sunscreen. Don’t be fooled by the thermometer -- or the fact that it feels like you haven’t seen the sun in months. Even when it’s cold and grey, those rays can damage your skin. Slather on a bit of sunscreen or SPF-enhanced moisturizer, plus protect your lips with SPF lip balm.
- Drink up. The dry air outside and inside can leave you (and your skin) thirstier than usual. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated -- when your body is low on water, it means your skin is thirsty, too!
- Nourish from within. It’s not just water your body needs -- it’s nourishment, too! Feed your skin from within by eating plenty of brightly colored, antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables. Supplement your diet with an additional boost from skin-supporting nutrients like hydrolyzed collagen, biotin (vitamin B7), hyaluronic acid, vitamin C and more -- just grab a bottle of Your Best Shot for Healthy Skin to get what you need in a convenient, shot-sized liquid supplement! Your skin will thank you.